RE: It did happen on a Friday...

Subject: RE: It did happen on a Friday...
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:26:00 -0500

"Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com> wrote on 02/24/2004 11:55:25
AM:
> Their reaction is a barrier to clear communication. I
> should avoid that
> reaction by using another word that clearly communicates my intent.

A fine sentiment. However, no decent alternative that clearly communicates
the intent has been found.

Also, even if there is an acceptable alternative, what good have you done
for clear communication by changing the accepted term to something else?
You'll confuse readers who are familiar with the subject and stilt the
communication of the neophyte who learns the "new" term and attempts to
communicate with a veteran.

At some point the responsibility of the writer to teach makes way for the
responsibility for the reader to learn.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer