FW: Resumes with a sense of humour

Subject: FW: Resumes with a sense of humour
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:30:22 -0500

Michelle asks:

>Why do resumes have to be 100% serious otherwise you alienate a
>recruiter or employer? For example, my husband has this is in his resume:

>§ Decorated cube with map of India where my job is being relocated.
>Mental note: learn to like curry.

>He feels that demonstrates his sense of humour and he figures that if a
>company won't hire him based on that line in his resume then he doesn't
>want to work with him. He's an Oracle guru. What do techwhirlers think?

I suppose that's OK if you can pick and choose your jobs...

The problem with including a line intended to be humorous is that people have differing senses of humor (or none at all).

Take for example this:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2867953/detail.html

I thought this was a very strange news story until some of my friends pointed out "Maybe it was a setup. Maybe somebody thought it would be funny if a guy did a public proposal and then got rejected." OK, I'll buy that...but I didn't laugh when I read the story. This doesn't mean, though, that -somebody- didn't find it funny.

People have different senses of humor. I'd hate to rule out every prospective employer that doesn't share mine. (Job pickings are already slim enough.)

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA