Re: HR electronic warfare (long)

Subject: Re: HR electronic warfare (long)
From: Guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:56:50 -0800

Mike O. wrote:

There is a new level of sophistication in the job recruiter's processes and
technology...Or at least, I have just now become aware of it. Actually, I am
not even using job boards right now, and I am not looking for work (not
today, anyway :-), so most of this doesn't affect me right now. But I was
personally amazed at the new level of intensity I learned about today.

. . .

Oh, by the way, if you don't want to be tracked by MaxHire, hostfile 'em.
Add this line to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 maxhire.net

This means any time your computer tries to connect with maxhire.net
(includine when the web bug tries to connect), the connection will fail.

(in Win2k, the hosts file is located at C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Except for one detail: 127.0.0.1 is also known as "localhost" --

"A computer on the network is identified by what is known as an IP address, which consists of four numbers separated by dots, such as 127.0.0.1. However, there is one address that cannot be used by any computer in the world, and that address is 127.0.0.1. The reason is that this address has been reserved as what is known as the loopback address. A loopback address is an address that tells the computer not to test its connections to another computer, but to test its own basic network setup. (From: Connected: An Internet Encyclopedia) 127.0.0.1 is a Class A Address. (From: Linux Documentation Project)"

http://www.ping127001.com/whyping.htm

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net