RE: US versus UK English, How relevant?

Subject: RE: US versus UK English, How relevant?
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Permittez-moi to play Devil's advocate.

I have yet to see any cultural differences listed in
this discussion that would require the services of a
British editor exclusively over a U.S. editor with
S&R.

I mean, assuming we're talking about technical writing
... maybe I'm just too computer-centric but, then
again, neither the car terminology nor the baby
waste-collection knickers have convinced me ... are we
going to localise for Northerners, Southerners,
Londoners (Cockney?)?

(I acknowledge Welsh as a separate language,let's
leave Cornish out of this, as well, and Gaelic and
let's focus on just the English part of this equation
for now <g>).

So, with English *and* technical writing in mind, can
someone point me to an example where a U.S. editor
would fail?

--- James Jones <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> Sure, you can use search/replace or some other
> function to try to
> localize a doc. But if you do that, you should also
> have the language
> reviewed by an expert. Better, have the doc sent out
> to be localized
> into the target dialect by a translation agency that
> specializes in
> 'localization'.

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools