RE: RE: Help on Coordination between Engineers and Technical Witers

Subject: RE: RE: Help on Coordination between Engineers and Technical Witers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 26 Feb 2004 21:13:57 GMT

I usually take stuff in with me to work on while I sit in
the back of the room ("fly on the wall"). After the first
few meetings of most new projects, I can get a feel for
signs that something of interest to me is happening.
These days most of what I'm doing is writer assignment
management, budgeting, etc., but even if I'm doing a
hands-on project, there's usually something I can print
out to review or edit so I don't have to leave the meeting
and return to my office in order to get something done.
In some past situations there was a risk that one might
be perceived as not being "attentive," but these days
multitasking has become routine and I see all the key
players doing it.

About the "too technical" remark: yes, it's quite possible
that the real problem is that the writers aren't technical
enough. However, the OP is their manager. Unless you
were hired on as writer #1 and got to build your own team
of highly technical writers from the ground up, most
managers have to deal with the dept and the writers they
have. And sometimes, a team that is highly adept in its
company's existing technology may find itself called upon
to support a new technology and development team that has
been "acquired" from some unrelated field. Process is
not a replacement for technical knowledge, but it's better
than nothing.

Gene Kim-Eng