Re: Product management and the technical communicator

Subject: Re: Product management and the technical communicator
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:29:35 -0800

My transition was the reverse, from product development/management to
documentation
management, and I'd say you have the functional similarities pretty well pegged.
Other
similarities, which have been pointed out by others, are that because you're
concerned
about the business side of the product process as well as keeping the technical
side of
product development moving according to schedule and on-track, you'll continue
to be
regarded as "non-technical" by engineers (and technical writers) who always seem
think that perfection is not only achievable, but justifies late delivery. As
far as the
sales and financial aspects are concerned, I'm as involved in market analysis,
budgeting
and costs as a publications manager as I ever was, but this may just be because
my
higher-ups know I can do it.

So what exactly makes you think this will be a "new challenge," other than the
obvious
increase in your workload and the size of your responsibilites...? :))

Gene Kim-Eng