Re: Common Errors in English

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:48:22 +1100

John Posada wrote:
>> case. Clearly this is not a possessive, since
>> the years do not own the experience...
>
> EXACTLY!
>
> You said what I felt and couldn't verbalize.

Can we assume, then, that you would say "I have a
year experience" or "I took a week leave"?

"Years" and "weeks" can be treated as possessives
or as adjectival nouns, but if you're writing a resume,
be aware that many, if not most, educated readers
will consider "Nine years experience" to be a minor
grammatical blunder. Maybe you can justify it on
theoretical grounds, but you may never get the chance.
--
Michael West