Re: Quiet workplace

Subject: Re: Quiet workplace
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:38:02 -0500

Anonymous wrote:
> Before I make a formal request for a
> quieter location, I'd like to gather some information about the
> conditions other technical writers work in. Am I alone in needing a
> relatively quiet place to work? How have others (especially lone
> writers like me) succeeded in negotiating for a quiet workspace? When
> applying for a new job, how do writers assess the suitability of their
> future working environment?

It depends on what you mean by quiet. I prefer to be sitting with my project
team and having normal conversations about the work at hand.

I'd be more concerned about why your company has isolated you - is that the
case? Where is the team developing the stuff you are writing about? Has your
company lumped you in with the other 'support' staff and isolated you from
your project team?

Mike O.