Re: Should a glossary be indexed?

Subject: Re: Should a glossary be indexed?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:26:37 -0800

Chuck Martin wrote:

...if readers want a term defined, they will go directly to the
glossary and bypass the index entirely.

Not if they don't know there's a glossary to be found. (It might not be right before the index.)

Unless you've already reached the maximum number of pages in a signature, I see no harm in including the page number of the glossary definition along with other index entries for the term.

By the way, I've also heard of indexes that include the definition itself, rather than the page number of the definition...like a combined index and glossary in one. I haven't seen one myslef, but the professional indexers in the discussion were familiar with them.

Something to consider, anyway...

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.