Re: Should a glossary be indexed?

Subject: Re: Should a glossary be indexed?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 07:25:28 -0500

An indexed glossary... Isn't that kind of like a thesaurus?

I recall glossary items were always a pain back when I was doing help
systems.. Since a glossary item is a topic in its own right, most HATs add
them to the index by default unless you make an explicit decision to exclude
them.

I just checked my Win2k help - each glossary item is listed as a main entry
in the index, with a sub-entry called 'defined,' which leads you back to the
glossary list.

In technical documents, sometimes the glossary definition is the best, if
not the only reference to the item. So it probably belongs in the index.

Anyway, I think most end users go right for the search feature and don't
know/care about an index.

Mike O.