Help! I'm seeking advice.

Subject: Help! I'm seeking advice.
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:05:16 -0800

It's my turn to seek the advice of my fellow Techwr-lers. Help!

I was called late last Thursday about a 40-hour contract, starting Friday
morning. I was asked to help another Consultant ( no names or company names
here for non-disclosure rules) redo his document and presentation. He has
spent several weeks accummulating the research for two documents: a Business
Plan and a Technology Plan. I spent Friday with him making suggestions for
additions and rearranging the doc.

At 5 pm, the Manager decided to have the other Consultant do another
project. The Manager asked me "to drive the documentation." I worked on the
doc and presentation Saturday and Sunday. I was in contact with both the
other Consultant and the Manager during this process. Late Sunday, the
Manager indicated "we need to talk." We talked yesterday morning, and I was
told to "throw out everything [the other Consultant did] and began again." I
was asked to produce TOCs for 2 docs (business and tech plan) by the
afternoon. I did, based upon the company's actual docs that I had access to.

Now my problem: Its's twofold. (1) The deadline is Thursday. (2) That TOC is
not acceptable. It appears the Manager wants is someone that will produce
those docs without access to the key players. I do have very limited access
to the Manager. He does know most of the relevant information because he's
involved with the CEO/CIO, etc.

My impulse is to run anywhere fast. There is no way I can see those 2 docs
will be done by Thursday. In addition, since I'm totally unfamiliar with the
company and industry trying to produce a business and technology plan is
vastly different from advising another Consultant, who is an expert in the
industry, to produce better documents.

Opinions and advice about how to proceed will be very appreciated.
Diane