RE: Help! I'm seeking advice.

Subject: RE: Help! I'm seeking advice.
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:13:19 -0500

I was called late last Thursday about a 40-hour contract, starting
Friday morning. I was asked to help another Consultant ( no names or
company names here for non-disclosure rules) redo his document and
presentation. He has spent several weeks accummulating the research for
two documents: a Business Plan and a Technology Plan. I spent Friday
with him making suggestions for additions and rearranging the doc.

At 5 pm, the Manager decided to have the other Consultant do another
project. The Manager asked me "to drive the documentation." I worked on
the doc and presentation Saturday and Sunday. I was in contact with both
the other Consultant

Right at this point, you should have contacted the client, told him this
was not the "spec.", and you want to redefine the scope. The rest is
simply the results of not doing this. The project is a runaway train and
you're going to be in the engine when it hits the mountain.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com