Trademarks: TM or (R) ?

Subject: Trademarks: TM or (R) ?
From: "Jeroen Dekker" <jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:07:24 +0100

Can anyone riddle me this, and send the response to me via email as well as to the list (I'm on digest)?

When does one use TM to follow a brand, and when does one use (R)? Do you use one for a company name, and the other for a product name? Does it signify a legal difference in the type of trademark a company has for that brand? Or do people just use what looks neat in their eyes?

Am I correct in thinking that you only need to use e.g. Windows (tm) the first time I mention it, and there's no need to use the (tm) for Windows in the remainder of the document?

Can I just suffice with something like "All brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners." at the bottom of a document?

Jeroen Dekker
jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl