Re: Information Mapping vs. Usability Testing of Documentation

Subject: Re: Information Mapping vs. Usability Testing of Documentation
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: HSC Italian <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:47:19 -0800 (PST)

Heidi,

Information Mapping is not at all a "confirmation" that a document is accurate and usable. Instead, it is a method of making a document design more usable. (I'd say accuracy is much more subjective, so I do not address it here).

Others have spoken about the methods of showing alternate steps. However, from your example, it appears that the "substeps" are not in fact substeps but alternate main-level steps. Thus:

1. From the front panel, press Cancel.
2. if the LCD says blah, do this.
<or>
if the LCD says blah, do this.
3. Do such and such.

I'd also think a note in the left marginal column denoting the choice would also be appropriate if there is a chance of the users being confused. That (usually narrow) left-hand column in Information Mapping that I am familiar with is often used for such messages to guide the user.

Of course, I've never taken their courses--only studied the technique independently. However, it seems to me that the major use for it lies with a thorough-going understanding by those applying it. Like so many other "faddish" kinds of things (organizational reengineering, iterative software development, corporate mission statements, etc.), too many people seem to apply what they believe to be the technique involved without knowing enough about it to get the real benefit from it. However, with IM, I have seen documents created by writers who used the IM arrangement without having taken the course, but still to good effect. Like everything else, there are documents for which it does not seem to do well, while others are a natural fit. From the sound of things, I believe yours may well be the latter.

I'm sure others on this list are more versed in it than I, and can either add to or disagree with my observations.

All the best,

David

-----Original Message from HSC Italian <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>-----

Hello List,

For those of you familiar with Information Mapping and documentation
usability; is Information Mapping a form of confirming that a document is
accurate/usable, or is it more how it is layed out and chunked? The reason
I ask is that currently a co-worker is implementing some of the Information
Mapping techniques into our template.

The audience of our user guides have a max education level of 6th grade.
One style in particular that is being rolled into the template that I have
concerns about usability is numbered sub- steps. For example:

1. From the front panel, press Cancel.
1.1 if the LCD says blah, do this.
1.2 if the LCD says blah, do this.

2.
Again, my concern is how usable is this method for end-users with minimal
education?

All feedback is welcome.

TIA,

Heidi