RE: theory behind document usage; sage input please.

Subject: RE: theory behind document usage; sage input please.
From: "Cassandra Greer" <cassandra -at- greer -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:50:09 +0100

Hi Lynne!

> >The problem that arises is that in
> >our user manuals, there tends to be
> >a lot of duplication of very simple
> >information, as writers try to cover
> >all possible bases in each section/
> >procedure... we also tend to illustrate
> >every freakin' move a user has to make
> >in a procedure... even a simple
> >"Click OK."

Having worked in a crisis center before (and working under extreme stress),
my thought processes were taken up in accessing the situation - there was
none left for wondering about - should I click ok or not. For the procedures
for any situation we had flow charts (this was before the center had
computers) with yes/no, if yes, then .., if no, then... Every little step
was there - all based on previous real life situations and tested to the
max. And like several others have mentioned, turnover was high so few ever
had the chance to etch the procedures on their brains and be able to do them
in their sleep.

Keep the "Click ok."s. Repeat them in every procedure when appropriate. It
may be a pita for you but it helps save brain functions for more important
things...

Cass :)