Re: don't believe the offshore hype

Subject: Re: don't believe the offshore hype
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:00:31 -0800

"Wade Courtney" <courtney -at- hsq -dot- com> wrote in message news:231535 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I'd be interested in how many U.S. writers have degrees in technical
> writing/communication. I'm might be persuaded to bet that its not that
> many. ;)

Because so few have come down on the side of degree-level education in the
discipline as actually being a Good Thing for its preactitioners (the
difference between what one says and what one does), I'll chime in: I got a
B.S. in Technical Communication, a curriculum that contained a number of
computer-related classes, including the basic CS programming set of classes
(in Ada), data structures, and assembly language.

Since then, in addition to conferences where I've increased my skills in the
discipline, I've taken college-level classes on subjects such as Psychology,
Visual Basic, JavaScript, and a class this semester called "Advanced
Internet," where I'm currently learning some Perl, will go on to PhP in a
few weeks, and will learn how to hook all that into a database. I've also
taken internal company classes on subjects such as C programming, SQL/PLSQL,
and Visual Literacy.

Like Scotty, I read technical books, magazines, and journals for fun.

Just as I believe products can always be better--in stability, in design, in
usability--I blieve also that I can always get better.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com