Re: The software factory (was "Don't believe the hype?") (long)

Subject: Re: The software factory (was "Don't believe the hype?") (long)
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:44:32 -0800

John Posada says:

I think the issue is whether you are satisfied with the results of
mediocre output or not.

Personally, I'm not always an optimist. Look at our presidents, the products we buy, the movies we produce, the food we eat, the dominant OS... As a culture we're *driven* to achieve mediocrity. (Superlative mediocrity - now there's a concept.) My personal satisfaction has nothing to do with it, and it hasn't saved the world, stopped a war, held off a merger, or saved anybody's job yet. Sure, I do the best I can on the job. I also get told to shut up and ship - there's only so much money. If I inherit a piece of crap, I maintain a piece of crap - that's what they tell me to do and I do it. If I start from scratch on my part of a big project, maybe I can make something really good. More often than not, I have a limited budget and have to compromise. For my small projects that start from scratch, I have lots of fun, I do my best, and sometimes I'm really happy with the results. But that isn't going to stop offshoring... In the long run it isn't going to protect me if the new "model" is to use turnkey offshore shops. I'll just fall outside of the acceptable categories, and into the circular file.
The optimist in me says I can market my way out of that trap, BTW.

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as, content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com