RE: Improving internal assembly instructions

Subject: RE: Improving internal assembly instructions
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:04:46 -0500

"tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com> wrote on 03/12/2004 10:56:35 AM:

> We have documents that are up to 300 pages. Most pages
> have instructions on installing tool parts. Each tool has
> its own bill of material(BOM)and item number. When the
> procedure discusses the tool and its parts, each part is
> shown with item (item #) and part number (P/N#####). If I
> can somehow devise a way to xref or link each item and
> part number to the BOM (and drawing for that matter) and
> have them somehow magically change in the document
> whenever the BOM or drawing changes,I would be happy.
> However, as is in most companies, the BOM and Drawings are
> separate entities that reside on separate software
> databases. They are not virtual or interactive. The
> closest thing I have seen is online documentation that
> allows you to use xrefs and links but I have only seen
> that for documentation, not for BOMs or drawings. Any
> miracle workers out there?

Export and integrate the information from the BOM database into the
documentation reference database at each information freeze date.

The Documentation reference database would contain all the columns from
the BOM, additional columns with documentation specific requirements:
common nomenclature for parts, generated name description and part number
for xref purposes, and others.

Or another method, less database intense, is to at least have a legend for
all illustrations and cross-reference columns in the legend. Then you only
have to validate one source for each illustration. Tracking which sources
are used by each illustration indicates which need updating as the sources
are revised. The legends can be modified for print so that only given
columns are printed or not at all.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com