Re: Am I misunderstanding?

Subject: Re: Am I misunderstanding?
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:44:31 -0500

At 04:53 PM +0000 2004-03-12, Erica Sullivan wrote:

Okay, this must be my weak for freaky job listings. This one is for a Tech Support position that actually says "Green Belt or Black Belt Certified." Are they seriously talking about martial arts?

Nope. It's terminology the originators of the Six Sigma quality system industry use to designate the different levels of training. The martial arts flavor is supposed to give the survivors of each training level some sort of macho authority with their colleagues when they return to their departments with assignments to manage quality improvement programs.

Sorry, I tend to be pretty cynical about these quality improvement systems. While all of them can be wonderful if implemented properly, the usual course followed by companies who adopt any cure-all system is much less effective. I've spent 30 years watching corporations bankrupt themselves and destroy staff morale by wasting time and money on catchy phrases and expensive training programs---time and money that could have been spent actually doing something to solve problems. The solutions may not have been perfect according to some arbitrary system, but they would have been infinitely preferable to the Process Paralysis that infects corporate bureaucracy when they adopt a packaged quick fix program.

Disclaimer: I happen to think much of the Six Sigma program makes sense. But then, I thought the same thing about various ISO implementation systems, as well as TQM, Baldridge, Peters, Juran, Quality Circles, and Deming when they were introduced.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!
New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com