Re: Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Project Information - RANT

Subject: Re: Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Project Information - RANT
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:34:09 -0800

Sorry folks for posting and leaving. I had to make a trip down to Ft.
Lewis. A long drive on congested freeways. Now to catch up on questions that
were asked.

Lisa asked:
<quote>
Diane, I'm curious about your viewpoint that SOX is going to spill into the
private sector. It's an awfully expensive proposition. While I can see
private companies perhaps becoming a little more careful about documenting
processes, I'm not sure I agree that they'll take on the extra expense. Can
you explain more
</quote>

I meant several things. Most of them good from tech writers' perspective.
At least lots of work is possible out of it.

Politically: I can see our very busy politicans seeing SOX as "good" for
everyone and everything. When this happens, I expect that the equivalent of
of SOX, or even an expanded SOX, crashing downhill like an avalanche. I can
see politicians applying to any and all companies, even small businesses.

Next boom area: I can see SOX as the next boom area for tech writers similar
to the computer and Internet boom. Sox has the potential to expand
dramatically. When you look at the wording of those few paragraphs in
section 404, it is so broad and inclusive that everything involved with the
creation, manipulation, storage, or retrieval of data will have to be
documented. When I was researching SOX, I found several articles where SOX
experts were saying the same thing.

I don't think most managers, including CxOs, have grasped the extent SOX can
impact their company yet. I brought up XOX to a manager of a consulting firm
on that horrible documentation contract I asked advise on last week. I
mentioned I suspected SOX was going to have a huge impact on documentation
and he agreed.

Gee, I feel like a fortuneteller. Do I need a crystal ball? I don't have
one, honest.

Peter Nelson wrote:
<quote>
Doubtless they ignore tech writers who don't have three to five years
SOX experience.
</quote>
Believe it or not, the recuriter actually asked if I'd had 3 years
experience with SOX. I tried not to laugh too loud but he must have heard
because he asked me why I was laughing.

Diane

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com