Pagemaker Font Issue Resolved - FYI

Subject: Pagemaker Font Issue Resolved - FYI
From: Roberta Hennessey <rhennessey -at- avici -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:48:28 -0500

Thank you to all who responded to my plea for help Pagemaker (PM)
font display issue. I finally resolved it and thought I'd send this to the
list in case anyone else encountered this problem.

PM exporting/pdf issue

While updating a PM publication, I encountered an problem when exporting the publication to pdf. I was using a non-standard font, typing characters to obtain a symbol, like a Wingding font. This font appeared fine in the publications would not export and displayed only as the characters typed to obtain the font.

The tech at Adobe support told me that when a publication is moved from one computer to another, the document setting resident with the document change back to their defaults. (We keep our docs on a common drive, which the publication may "read" as a different computer?) In this document setting, there is a printer instruction. The default instruction is "?What printer?" Which means that anything you do to set printing/exporting functions will NOT take effect.

To resolve this issue:

1. Choose File, Document Set up. In dialog box, choose Compose to Printer: Distiller.
2. Choose File, Printer Styles, Define. Choose Acrobat.
3. Choose File, Export to pdf. Choose Acrobat as printer.

The font printed out perfectly on the pdf! Success!!

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!
New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com