Flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos? (Take III)

Subject: Flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos? (Take III)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:33:19 -0500

John Cook observed: <<We create our documentation in FrameMaker and publish in .pdf and other formats. I'll take handwritten comments or online comments in .pdf, but I /never/ use Word.>>

Your loss. <g> Seriously, though: Word-bashing ignores the fact that Word's got the neatest revision tracking tools in the business. I wouldn't use Word for industrial strength publishing, but it does have its advantages for writing and editing in collaborative environments. Nothing else comes close, though WordPerfect tries.

In any event, there's always more than one way to skin a programmer*--or in this case, to edit in a Frame environment. If you have both Word and Frame in the office, you can use the two together: edit in Word (after exporting the text to RTF if necessary), but publish in Frame. Better still: I'm given to understand that Frame offers a "compare documents" feature that lets you edit blind (i.e., without tracking your changes); the author then compares the original against the edited file to see what you've done. Less efficient than seeing the changes directly, but it should work well enough.

* For those who object to skinning cats, even metaphorically. <g>

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!
New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com