RE: Contracting

Subject: RE: Contracting
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 18:46:01 GMT

Are you getting this in the actual interview, or from the
people you end up working with after you get the contract?
If it's in the interview, it may be some hiring manager's
wierd way of finding out how well you're going to deal
with that sort of crap on the job, which would be a good
indication of what sort of experience you can expect. If
it's from people other than the hiring manager, it may
indicate that a writer is being brought in because their
attempts to do the work themselves have been a failure
and they're afraid that having someone else walk in cold
and do it successfully will make it that much more obvious,
which does sound like the situation you go on to describe.
Either way, be glad you're a contractor there and not a
direct employee.

BTW, my own experience has been the reverse: most people
interviewing me, including those who might potentially be
able to do the work "with one hand behind their back," are
usually anxious as all hell to get someone in, and at the
very least see the value of having someone else to do work
they don't want or don't have the bandwidth to do.

Gene Kim-Eng