RE: Technical writing in a higher ed environment

Subject: RE: Technical writing in a higher ed environment
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:44:51 -0800

I disagree--I do not think this is good advice. Spending this much time and
energy on something that is relatively trivial is going to raise red flags
with the administration. College budgets are invariably tight and you do not
want to be viewed as wasting time and money. I *especially* would not
indicate that it is going to take extra time and money for you personally to
adapt to using a different style guide. First of all, it shouldn't take
noticeable time and money unless you have to retrofit documents. Second, do
not make this about you. If you are a professional writer, you should be
able to adapt fairly easily to a slightly different style. So what if AP and
Chicago disagree? They're both used in tech docs and all sorts of other
areas.

Fight the strategic war and keep your job. AP has in the past been a fairly
minimalist guide and it will have gaps--likely focused on writing about
computers and computer terminology. Only where it has gaps should you turn
to something else. Again, if you feel you need to ask permission to fill in
the gaps, then raise it once in a casual, professional, non-confrontational
and non-emotional manner. Then let it go.

Finally, has anyone really done usability studies of one style guide vs.
another? I sincerely hope not. It is definitely not something I'd quit my
job for. In my book that's akin to quitting because the institutional style
is Times instead of Palatino.

Lisa