Re: Technical writing in a higher ed environment

Subject: Re: Technical writing in a higher ed environment
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:22:45 -0700

After working at writing gigs for nearly 30 years, some of it as a business reporter, some as a video producer, but most as a technical writer, I can say that the AP style guide is a good reference. So is the Chicago Manual of Style, Microsoft's style guide, etc. I have never found any of them to get in the way of good, solid communication, and isn't that the main goal of a technical writer. If you think a style guide constricts you in that purpose, then maybe the problem is not with the guide. I've known a lot of writers and I have yet to find a good one that couldn't do their job because they were "forced" to use a style guide they found inadequate. They just did what they were paid to do....write clearly and satisfy the people who sign the paycheck, or they moved on.

Wendy Cunningham wrote:

"Much of my content (quick guides, cheat sheets, basic 'how to'
information, etc.) is distributed electronically via the Web site and
is subject to this "law." But AP doesn't even come close to meeting my
needs. In fact, it often contradicts Chicago and other style guides
commonly used in technical documents. What's a writer to do?"

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 541-218-1252
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com