Re: Contacts at Symanted?

Subject: Re: Contacts at Symanted?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:31:20 -0800

"Guy" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com> wrote in message news:232919 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Does anyone out there have the e-mail address of a
> REAL
> LIVE
> PERSON
> at Symantec that I can contact?

<snip>

> Anybody got a clue for me?

Switch to a different product?

Seriously, even if I was in the position such as you're in, that of a former
employee (and I assume your loyalties to former employer are similarly as
strong as mine), it may be that the economic message may be the only one
they understand.

Just think, you used to work there, and you can navigate through the maze
better than the average bear. Imagine how everyday users are feeling.

Being not too far from Symantec HQ, I might even box up my old version and
deliver it to their front desk. :)

When Symantec adopted the draconian activation for its 2004 products, I
decided that I'm going to switch once my current subscription runs out,
switch to a better-reviewed product (even though I can't find it at Fry's or
other stores), switch to a product that I'd name here but for not wanting to
appear as a shill, even though at least one TW who works there is a list
denizen.

Some months back, a local SW company famous for its free firewall advertised
for a TW. I applied, fitting their reqs nearly perfectly. I also delivered
to them a niceportfolio with good samples. No word. Within a week or 2 a
review was published that gave the newest version generally high marks, but
said the docs were abysmal. Being rather desperate at the time, I composed
another mail to them, quoting the review, then adding quotes from reviews of
products where I'd done the docs (mentioned in the reviews as, among other
things, "excellent"), and concluding (trying to push the "sale") that they
could move from one to the other by hiring me. Still no word. A few months
later, they posted for a TW again.

Oops, I'm getting to rambling....

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com