VoIP?

Subject: VoIP?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:52:42 -0500

David Demyan wondered: <<This is just a quick informal survey to see if we need to be more explicit in our documents with a fairly technical audience.>>

If that audience is technical writers, then you've come to the right place for your poll. If not, perhaps you should reconsider whether we're the right group to be asking this question. That being said:

<<please respond directly to me YES or NO if you know what the term VoIP means.>>

If it means "Voice over Internet" protocol, then put me down as a "yes", though I'd have to research the nitty gritty details of just what that particular term means. If not, count me as a "no".

I suggest that irrespective of your target audience and the results of the poll, you follow a time-honored tradition and define the acronym the first time it appears (and again in a glossary). Unless your audience is specifically and exclusively people who work with Internet telephony applications, they'll thank you for your consideration. (Even then.) That's the easiest way to ensure that the 10%, 1%, 0.1%, or 0.01% of your audience who don't know the term can discover its meaning easily.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com