Re: Some of us are victims and some aren't (was Re: Tech writers, comments about.)

Subject: Re: Some of us are victims and some aren't (was Re: Tech writers, comments about.)
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:37:32 -0500

Back when I started here (3 years ago on April 2), I had to wait downstairs in reception for a half hour (until 9 am) because nobody was available upstairs to meet me. Once I got upstairs and my boss arrived (at 9:30 am), she stared at me for a moment, then collected herself and started organzing a place for me to work. When I was told by our admin that I wasn't supposed to start until April 16, I pulled out my employment confirmation letter and showed her the date. It took about 16 months before she'd speak to me again. Then when my boss introduced me to the web development manager, she couldn't remember my name.

Nobody's ever taken me to lunch (2 directors, 2 managers), remembered my birthday or employment anniversary, or thanked me for my work. Our VP/CTO did have our admin buy me coffee once because he didn't want me leaving my desk before I got an editing job done for him on a white paper.

BUT I don't complain unless everybody else is complaining at the same time, and then it's usually a game of oneupmanship that we're playing. I do almost anything in good humour that anybody asks me, and I always drop what I'm doing to lend a hand.

They still call me the Technical Writer, but I haven't really done any of that here.

Boy, they're gonna be sorry when I win the lottery and quit...

Karen Black in Toronto, looking forward to dusting off the TW hat someday soon

The standard of behavior we exhibit during emergencies is not scary; on the contrary. It is a demonstration of how pleasant life can be when people treat one another courteously.
--Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
My first day here, and first week, I had to find my
own stinking lunch.

In fact, it was not until two or three weeks later
that I organized what would become a regular group
lunch that I didn't forage and eat alone.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com