teaching technical writing to engineers

Subject: teaching technical writing to engineers
From: Evelyn G Barker <ebarker -at- uta -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:49:32 -0600

Hello,
I'm going to be teaching a technical writing class to junior-level
university engineering students and wondered what the group thought it was
important for them to learn.

The students are all types of engineers--computer science, mechanical, etc.
This tech writing class is required for their degree, but I'm not trying to
prepare them for a career as a tech writer.

It's a new class, so I can pretty much build from the ground up.

I'm thinking that I should focus on communicating technical information to a
technical audience and that I should focus on the nuts and bolts of concise
writing.

But I would love to hear what others on the list think might be beneficial
for them to learn. Any textbook suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Evelyn Barker
Information Literacy
University of Texas at Arlington
ebarker -at- uta -dot- edu

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com