Re: Frame's dead end?

Subject: Re: Frame's dead end?
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lne -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:22:35 -0800

> I cut my Frame teeth on a Mac, and at first hated when I had to work in
> Frame in Windows. Never used it on Solaris. OTOH, I've not worked anywhere
> that uses Macs for doc development since that first Frame experience.

I've regularly used Frame on all three platforms for the last (mumble)
years. Frame on Windows is by far the best. It has the best
stability and lots of plug-in tools to make the more painful tasks
less painful. Frame on Mac works well but since it doesn't work on
OSX except in classic mode it feels kind of clunky and old. Frame on
Solaris is painful to use and kind of unstable, but it has some nice
extras like fmbatch (for batch-processing files, eg to convert them to
PDF or save as MIF) and built-in keyboard macros.

The Mac is my home system so I'll really miss Frame on the mac, but I'm
not surprised. I haven't had a job working on Frame on the mac in over
ten years. Its all Windows and Solaris.

> What amazes me is that Mac sales were smaller than Solaris?

There isn't anything else out there for Solaris, really (although I'm
working a contract right now that's using OO/SO, but we're only
writing short documents, nothing large). Plus: $1400 a seat. The
#machines may be smaller is smaller but the #sales is larger, I'll bet.

Laura
platform agnostic

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com