re: on-the-go recording of discussions with SME's

Subject: re: on-the-go recording of discussions with SME's
From: T K <tvk_tw -at- yahoo -dot- ie>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:16:40 +0100 (BST)

Many thanks to those of you who gave your comments
regarding the concept of a recording device on a
mobile phone.

Your idea for an additional feature to enable mailing
of recordings using MMS would be very useful for
subsequent storage and review, Rob. And, as you say,
it would reduce the storage capacity required on the
phone, especially if doing a number of recordings
before returning to your desk.

A 'resume' feature would be useful, to continue after
interruptions or to add your own comments at a later
stage, as you suggested Julia. And it shouldn't be a
problem to send pictures to supplement the voice since
most newer phones already have cameras as standard
features.

I wasn't aware that Dictaphones are not used much
nowadays or that there are difficulties in typing out
the input afterwards. I have yet to start working as a
technical writer (when I finish my course in a few
months) so I am not up to speed on current practices.
This is one of the reasons I like this site - so much
useful input from people already working in the field.

It had occurred to me that there may be difficulties
with the range of pickup for a recording device in
large meetings, as pointed out by Diane. Also, in
large meetings if more than one person is speaking
(which will inevitably happen as ideas are tossed
around) it would be hard to decipher what is going on
if listening to a recording at a later stage. I think
it would be hard to beat minute-taking for large
meetings because a minute-taker would be much better
than any recording device to decipher input from
numerous speakers.

I take Diane's point that it is easier to take notes
at one-on-one meetings and discussions. However, will
you always have a note pad and pen with you when you
bump into someone, or when a discussion ensues after
you ask a quick yes / no question on the corridor?
Also, it can be difficult to take notes unless sitting
down.

Your comments are appreciated and it would be great if
you or anyone else has anything else to add. You guys
are working out there in the field. I am, as of yet,
just the student.

Thanks,
Tom.

http://www.dragonsys.com/naturallyspeaking/
http://www.dragonsys.com/viavoice/

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com