Re: manager credibility

Subject: Re: manager credibility
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:09:36 -0800

This is a lousy management technique even when your subordinates are
sitting in the same room with you.

If you have a highly professional team, then whether it's remote or local,
leading it should consist largely of setting the goals and objectives,
ensuring that the team has access to the training, tools and support they
need to accomplish them and providing feedback on progress and advice
on possible ways to improve technique when called for. At times it may
be necessary to remind the team what they have to accomplish if they're
to receive the "goodies" that they're hoping for (raises, bonuses, stock
options, etc.), and what the consequences may be if they don't (more
difficulty in getting budget for the "goodies," possible higher places on
the budget cut/layoff list, etc.), but these are really just sanity checks on
the realities of life in the workplace, not "do as I say or else." I really
hate having to tell employees what to do and how to do it; my ideal
employee comes to me with both a problem and the basics of a solution,
and only needs the benefit of my experience to point out possible ideas
or consequences that may not have considered to help refine the plan.
The only time it should ever be necessary for a manager to employ the
"do what I tell you to do because I'm the mommy" approach is when and
if they behave as if they're children.

Gene Kim-Eng