RE: XML ELEMENT value required?

Subject: RE: XML ELEMENT value required?
From: "David Spreadbury" <David -dot- Spreadbury -at- afc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:01:47 -0800

Yes, in XML 1.0, it is specified in the DTD as #REQUIRED, which means the element must explicitly provide a value for this attribute each time it is used.

Example:

<!ATTLIST SPECIES
LatinName CDATA #REQUIRED
ReferenceType CDATA #IMPLIED
ReferenceNum CDATA #IMPLIED

The above excerpted from "Inside XML DTDs, by St. Laurent and Biggar, ISBN 0-07-134621-X.