Re: What would *you* do...

Subject: Re: What would *you* do...
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:58:51 -0400

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:19:59 -0500, Hauglie, Joe <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com> wrote:

Walden Miller's advice seems to be right on when discussing
actions/directions he would take/has taken since becoming a VP...

However, I am curious:

Among the points he lists was this:
6. Spent a lot of time ensuring that tech docs and training were profit
centers.

Walden, how did you do this specifically?

Yeah, at a former employer there was a bizarre system by which
any tech manuals that the sales reps handed out free to prospects
(it's a reasonable part of making a sale, right?) were charged
at cover price to Tech Pubs! Our budget was huge and somewhat
out of our control. One sales area sold the books at cover
price to existing customers, and since the books were already
"paid" (out of our budget) the money received funded THEIR
Xmas party.

In my experience Tech Writing has always been a cost center, by
any mode of "standard" bookkeeping. So, Walden, HOW DID YOU
DO IT???

(By the way, I suspect that staying in Tech Writing has kept me
from much professional advancement, as I've never been able to
construct one of those glowing resumes that proudly shows how
much money I saved or made the company through my work. The
reference manuals seem to have little obvious bottom-line
impact. The abandoned projects and the belly-up companies
don't add much either. Anybody have a clue on how to spin those
things into lush and profitable words?)

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com