Re: Corporate-scale training program references

Subject: Re: Corporate-scale training program references
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:16:44 -0400

Steve Schwarzman wrote:

Okay, what follows is Steve's Quick Version of How to Put Together a
Training Program for a Company of X Hundred (or Thousand) People. Buckle
your seatbelt!

Steve,

This is a great overview. I knew less than nothing about large-scale training before I read your post and now I know more than nothing (enough to know I don't want to tackle such a project, anyway).

Adult learners need to know why they should care. They've got a zillion
things to do back at their desks, and you are taking up their time. Convince
them at the start of the lesson that you are aware of this, and justify the
importance of the lesson. (For example: "This lesson shows you how to
encrypt your emails. You need to know this so you can avoid exposing the
company's trade secrets on our new product when you communicate with our
remote plant.") If you can't think of why they need to know, you need to
rethink the lesson.

I'd like to put in a plug for promotion here. It's hard to train people with posters, contests, premiums, and email; but it is possible to increase people's receptiveness by doing the convincing ahead of time, rather than dragooning them into a classroom before telling them why they're there. Enlist the help of the marketing department is thinking through the kind of promotional campaign that would be appropriate, budgeting for it, and executing it. Embrace the darkness ;-)

Dick

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com