A very unfortunate incident....

Subject: A very unfortunate incident....
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:26:40 -0400

I just came across this on another list I subscribe too, one that deals with human resources issues for HR professionals. I subscribe, mostly to understand how human resources professionals view the world (through blinders, mostly). I just had to share this one:

"Thanks for your input. A very unfortunate incident happened today. One of my employees had a heartache [sic -- probably means "heart attack"] while at work. Unfortunately, he just passed. Is there anything special that needs to be done or anyone that needs to be notified in regards to HR. Family members have been contacted, and Workers Comp was notified of the heartache [sic]. Further information on the individual he was part-time approx 12 hours a week and in his early 70s.
Would this be anything that OSHA would get involved in?
I just have never had anyone pass while at work and am still in shock.
Thanks for your input"

Wow. An "unfortunate incident".

So, I propose a competition. Who can come up with the best account, from the perspective of an HR person, or possibly other middle or high management, of an "unfortunate incident"?

Here's my best crack, which may be a bit over the top....

"Thanks for your input. A very unfortunate incident happened today. The thermonuclear event in New York, which some of you may have heard about on the news, has resulted in a significant change in our employee allocation. Unfortunately, all the people who work for our company out our building in New York, passed. Except, actually, they vaporize, so one of my questions is whether "vaporizing" (as opposed to "passing") has any implications for who needs to be notified in regard to HR.
"Family members have been contacted, except those who were also in the vicinity of the unfortunate incident, and except those who have been conscripted now that the President has imposed martial law, and except those whom we can't reach because the entire phone network has collapsed, and except those who have apparently joined the Montanna, Idaho, and Wyoming "Create A Christian American Now" militia group.
"We notified Workers Comp of the heartache, although we are not sure the proper paperwork has been filed, because the woman on the other end of the phone line was sobbing and weeping and screaming hysterically, which is something we think may need to be addressed by her HR department. Further information is that we lost 675 individuals to the unfortunate thermonuclear vaporization incident in New York, so we are now seeking a new staff for our entire departments of engineering, marketing, and legal. Any leads would be appreciated. (Monster.com seems to be down, and our own IT director just shot himself, which is another unfortunate incident, so we are having troubles accessing old resumes on our file server.)
Would this be anything that OSHA would get involved in? I just have never had anyone get thermonuclearly vaporized while at work and am still in shock. Fortunately we have our corporate sponsored yoga class here at work this evening, so I think I'll be okay after that. Thanks for your input."

Any other contributors?

Steven Oppenheimer
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com