RE: FrameMaker question: graphics for bullets? (long and dumbed down)

Subject: RE: FrameMaker question: graphics for bullets? (long and dumbed down)
From: "Jayaseelan Pannirselvam" <jayaseelan -dot- pannirselvam -at- ite -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:45:53 +1000

Mike Bradley wrote:

>I would be tempted to do the note as a 2-column table with the graphic
>in column 1 and the text in column 2. You could save the table format
>and insert the table as needed.

>You'd still have to copy the graphic into each table.

Not if you placed the graphic on the reference page and applied it to a paragraph format (via "Frame Above Pgf").

I know for a fact that this works fine in both FM 6.0 and 7.0, but I'm not sure if it works the same way in other lower versions.

I put together a comprehensive procedure (which is a synthesis of Mike's, Ratz's, and Richard's suggestions) and tried posting it some two days back but for some reason it didn't hit the list (it's probably still whipping through cyberspace and might eventually land here - if it does, do excuse the repetition).

1. First create a graphic reference frame on a reference page and insert your graphic (your "Note") within it.

2. On the body page, insert a table (choose any format from the list, but be sure to insert it as a two column, one body row, no heading rows, no footing rows table).

3. Create a new paragraph tag adding your graphic to the tag (via Frame Above Pgf in the Advanced properties of the Paragraph Designer box).

4. Apply this paragraph tag to the first column and resize the column to fit your graphic which now serves as your bullet.

5. Once you're done optmizing your table column sizes, select the table, bring up the Table Designer box and strip away the rulings, and make other changes as required.

6. With the table still selected, create a new format (via Commands) and name the table appropriately.

7. Enter your bullet text in the second column.

Next time you want to use your bespoke bullet format, insert your newly created table and your bullet'll be sitting there nice and pretty just like it used to in your Word file.

Sorry if I've dumbed this down a lot, but this is more for myself when my mind fogs up later.

Jayaseelan

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com