anyone using Perforce for source control with help projects?

Subject: anyone using Perforce for source control with help projects?
From: seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:31:45 -0600

Is anyone using Perforce for source control with help
projects, and are you happy, and have you run into and
resolved these issues? Note, I am using WWP and FM,
but wouldn't mind some tips, tricks, and success
stories from users of other cool and froody tools.

1) If I rename a WWP project or add new content to
WWP, WWP creates new files with auto-created
filenames.

Because I have a couple of thousand files, I am
unaware of exactly which files have been created, and
using a filename marker for each topic is not what I
want to do.

When I go to perforce, I can submit files that have
the same name and have changed, I can revert files
that have the same name and have not changed, but I
cannot find a good way to handle new files that I
don't know by name have been created.

1b) Related thought: it seems that RoboHelp would
suffer similar issues--such that HTML files that get
autocreated of which you are not specifically aware
are hard to handle--no?

2) Have you had trouble checking out one FM file from
a book and having trouble finding linked graphics or
cross-reference errors?

Any thoughts on improving this Perforce-centric
workflow would be appreciated, I'm a Perfornce nOOb.

FWIW, I used to handle this by copying files to a
network location that was backed up by MIS, and using
a product- and version-specific directory structure
there.

Cheers,

Sean

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com