Style change, find/replace bug?

Subject: Style change, find/replace bug?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:17:31 -0400

Nancy McDonald-Kenworthy reports: <<I'm editing (in Ms Word, Win2k OS) a technical manual for a software company in Korea... The doc was originally written in Korea, and I'm editing here in the states. I'm using the tools/track changes/highlight changes function. Right now, I'm trying to replace a Normal paragraph style w/ character font style that I've created (I call it "icon") and wanted this to be used for every instance of a word, (hypothetical name here) called, "xabc.">>

If you ever make a global change through the search and replace dialog, and the author doesn't need to see and approve the change, ***turn off revision tracking*** before you make the change. In addition to saving the author from having to review each of these changes (which they have no choice but to approve), you also help Word work more smoothly.

<<I'm having no problem when I replace the word w/ the character style one at a time. (It doesn't show via a "track change")>>

It should. The odds are good that you've set the view options (Tools-->Options-->Track changes-->Format change) to not apply any formatting to simple format changes. Nothing wrong with that. However:

<<... when I tried to change them all through "find/replace"... I did the "find" to be "xabc" in Normal style, and "replace" with "xabc" in the icon character style. When I hit the "replace all" button, I saw every (all 151 of them, of course) instance was changed... the deleted version was the icon style, and the replaced version is the Normal style.>>

Do you mean that the original text, in Normal style, was marked as deleted, and the new text, in icon style, was marked as inserted? That's precisely what should happen. But if you mean that the word is marked as deleted, and a new word is inserted in Normal style, that's more than a bit odd. It's possible that you can't replace with character styles; haven't tried that. You might try the global replace _without_ specifying Normal in the "find what" field and see if that helps.

Here's a workaround that should work:
- Turn off revision tracking.
- Open the find/search dialog, and enter the word you're looking for. Don't bother specifying any style.
- Press Return to find the first instance.
- Close the dialog box, and apply the character style ("Icon") from the style menu.
- Press Control-PageDown to find the next instance of the word. It should be highlighted to show that it's selected.
- Press Control-Y ("apply the same change as the last one I did").
- Repeat the two previous steps until you reach the end of the document.
- Turn on revision tracking again and continue editing.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com