Re: Are there any global standards for User Interface Design?

Subject: Re: Are there any global standards for User Interface Design?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:07:40 -0700

The purpose of the list is to share knowledge, yes, but many prefer not to
spend valuable time educating the deliberately ignorant and the willful
pretenders.

As to the question of "global standards" for UI design, a number of answers
come to mind:

1. The opposite of your company's web site.
2. Yes. Hire people competent in the discipline and they will show you.
3. It depends. (To know what it depends on, again, hire someone trained in
the discipline.)

AS a side note, in the text for my current class, the chapter on XML, was a
reference to Extensible User Interface Language (XUL), an XML language
developed by the Mozilla (my default browser) develpment group. I'm excited
enough about that to do more research on my own.

And therein lies a lesson: the list is counted on by industry professionals
at all levels to help them resolve problems and get out of jams. It is not,
I think, a substitute for training in the fundamental principles of the
field.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

news:236690 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

.

.

.

.

.

> > > I'm quite confident that the eloquent and well-planned
> > > answers many of these phonies pose are quoted verbatim
> > > at the next international conference call with the
> > > boss, thus using our work, skills, and knowledge to
> > > bolster the offshoring argument.
> > >
> > > Happy Friday.
> > > > >
> > > Hi,
> > > Are there global standards or parameters that you need

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com