RE: Page Counts

Subject: RE: Page Counts
From: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:58:10 -0700

Responding a bit late on this...

> From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

> I have been at this game for near 30 years and I can't think of any
> "publisher" that uses Word. Writers use Word and WordPerfect and a host
> of other word processors to create text. Publishers rely on PageMaker,
> InDesign, FrameMaker and a number of other programs that take the word
> processed text, add images and paginate the whole shebang so it will run
> through the print press and come out the other end folded, sheared and
> in the proper page order. They need to know page count in order to make
> maximum use of the paper and ensure an efficient printing process. Just
> as editors do not like to pay for extra words, print customers do not
> like to pay for extra paper.

When I said publishers like Word, I meant for the writers to use. I know
publishers don't produce books using Word. The original point I was
attempting
to make is that I was not sure there is anything we can call a "manuscript
page"
anymore since Word files will paginate completely differently on different
machines, sometimes with drastically different page counts.

> As for asking for manuscripts in Courier and double-spaced, a lot of
> that has to do with writers/authors submitting material in just about
> any type font you can think of with about any leading that is in vogue
> at the time. By specifying the type font and spacing, it ensures them
> that the writer/author is focusing on the writing and not trying to be a
> writer/author/designer/etc., plus it gives them a good foundation to
> estimate the size of the document they are publishing.

Good point, but I still think it would be more precise to use a word count
or
character count.

> I suggest that if you have an opportunity to work for a publishing house
> for a period of time, you jump at the chance. Even a short stint with
> your local printer is an eye opener. They have a whole different set of
> problems that need solving as they take your manuscript and create a
> book out of it.

I agree; it's a very interesting field and helpful for when you're on the
creating
end. I have worked for a publishing company and a printing company in the
past.

Krista

Krista Van Laan
Director of Technical Communications, Security Services
VeriSign, Inc. http://www.verisign.com
487 E. Middlefield Road Mountain View, CA 94043
tel: (650) 426-5158 fax: (650) 426-5195

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com