Re: I don't want to be a PANE, but...

Subject: Re: I don't want to be a PANE, but...
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:13:02 -0700

Wright, Lynne wrote:

I'm having trouble settling on a naming convention for the rectangular area
in a window or dialog box where variable information is displayed, or where
text can be entered. For example, this white area in Outlook where i'm
entering my plea; or the vertical rectangular area in Explorer where the
tree structure of file folders is displayed.
I can't find a clear and definitive ruling in the Microsoft Manual of
Style... The definition for "pane" sounds potentially correct, but they
don't provide an illustration, so I can't be sure its the correct term for
what I'm talknig about.
Would "display area" be better?
Please forgive me if i've asked this before... I've been trying to nail down
in-house style guidelines for more than a year, and I keep getting
interrupted for long stretches by...you know... documentation work and
stuff... and i keep getting conflicting input from various writers in my
group, so my brain and notes are a hopeless mess.
And yes... I asked a variety of developers here, and none of them could give
me a definitive answer.

Well, if your application is in Java, there's a great resource
Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines
from Sun.

I don't know that their terminology applies across the industry, but they do have a definite hierarchy of names.

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com