Re: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: Re: Great piece on marketing collateral
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:28:16 -0700

Actually, I find this particular exchange more disturbing than
amusing. What's happened here is that a marketing person has
written an article for other marketing people that presents the
message that nobody reads marketing collateral so it doesn't
support a sales force and either shouldn't be written or should
be minimalized. Apparently, some members of the list didn't
think much of this arguement, but rather than address its points,
responded to it with criticisms of the article's grammar and
presentation. In most online forums, ignoring an arguement's
content and sniping at its presentation is automatically regarded
by most as a virtual admission that you have no cogent counter-
arguement to offer, but in a forum full of professional writers
and publications managers, it may also be, to quote another recent
post in a different thread, an "example of what makes so much
of our documentation crap:" an emphasis on style over content.

Gene Kim-Eng