RE: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: RE: Great piece on marketing collateral
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:04:20 -0500

I came into this thread somewhat late and haven't read all of the messages,
so my apologies in advance if my comments don't make sense in the context of
the rest of the messages. :-)

Kevin (Mailing List) wrote:

> Whenever I encounter that sort of stuff in a document,
> I drop the thing and start looking around for the "real"
> technical docs that I need.

When I took over the user guides in our group, chapter 1 in some of them
started out with:
"Hello! Thank you for purchasing this high-quality Zebra printer,
manufactured by the industry leader in quality, service, and value--Zebra

Technologies."

As a user, I would read that, then promptly toss the manual in a box
somewhere. In a technical manual, if the author feels the need to punctuate
using exclamation points (except maybe in dangerous situations) and to extol
the company's virtues, I usually have my doubts about the manual's contents.

Tell me how a product is designed to work, why I need to do certain things
or why I shouldn't do others, and how certain features can be used to make
my life easier. Spare me the marketing hype. If I want that, I'll look for a
brochure or a marketing web page, which is where I expect to find that type
of information.

Donna

---------------
Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.
Vernon Hills, Illinois

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com