Re: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: Re: Great piece on marketing collateral
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:31:54 -0400

David wrote:
>Consider the "extreme" example someone gave of "Make more sales!" Sounds
like it has no place in documentation, right? But what if the product is,
for example, >a sales tracking system? Would it not be perfectly germane in
such a product to say "Users find that they close a higher percentage of
sales through the increased >ease they have in tracking the entire inquiry
process. For example, when you enter the follow-up dates..."?

>The subhead for such a section might be, in fact, something like "Close
more sales through better inquiry tracking"

What I mean about tech docs as marcom is a little more indirect. I would
talk about the tracking itself in a way that _suggests_ it will lead to more
sales. It's one step removed, I guess. My heading would not be "Close more
sales..." but "Track Sales Inquiries". And in my screenshots and data
samples, I might reinforce the suggestion that tracking leads to more
sales - but I wouldn't promise that tracking directly leads to sales.
Indeed, sometimes tracking shows that you're *not* doing well, and need to
change direction. That's why it's valuable. Hmm, maybe that's the heading:
"Track Sales Inquiries to Pinpoint Where to Allocate Your Sales Resources."

Well, on second thought, I'd stick with "Track Sales Inquiries." But I'd put
a tip in a nicely visible sidebar with an example explaining that you can
use this to decide how to allocate the sales resources.

Steve Schwarzman
Books for Writers - http://www.writersbookmall.com

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com