Re: Using Word Crossrefs vs. bookmarks

Subject: Re: Using Word Crossrefs vs. bookmarks
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:58:22 -0700

It's not a question of "Crossrefs vs. bookmarks," "cross-references or the bookmarks," or "the advantage of bookmarks over cross-refs."

Cross-references work fine. The question is what you use as the target of the cross-references.

Cross-references to headings can get messed up if you rearrange the text. I don't know of anything you can do about that.

Cross-references to bookmarks get messed up if you inadvertently add text within the bookmark delimiters. That's not likely, and you can avoid it by displaying bookmarks as the default setting.

With either kind of target, you have to pick the target out of a list.

With either kind of target, you can easily create cross-references of the form "See So-and-so on page X" that change automatically to "See So-and-so below" (or "above") if the cross-reference and target are on the same page.

Sure, you have to create a bookmark at the heading, and that's an extra step. After that, it's no harder to use a bookmark than a heading, and the predictability and dependability are well worth the minute extra effort.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com