RE: To Space or not to Space

Subject: RE: To Space or not to Space
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 04 May 2004 00:08:52 GMT

Unfortunately, the anwer is (surprise, surprise), "it
depends." If you're using a monospaced font, then two
spaces between sentences is still widely recommended
due to the uneven whitespace between symbols of varying
widths. If you're composing for the web, unless you
hard code the extra space in at every use, your second
space will be eliminated automatically anyway, so why
bother. In between, there is a continuing debate between
those who maintain the double space is an anachronism
because modern word processors adjust the spacing after
a period automatically and a small but actually *growing*
number of holdouts who maintain that an extra space at
the end of a sentence improves readability and helps
provide a clearer break between sentences. There is,
of course, no scientific data to be found supporting
either opinion, so for most of us who are writing for
short-run printing on things like Xerox DocuTech, it's
pretty much a matter of preference and style guide.
In most publishing (as in books) work, manuscripts are
still created by writers using double spaces and the
"extra" space is deleted by the page designer, final
editor or typesetter.

As you may notice from my posts, I'm a two-spacer,
especially in email where I have no idea what font
you're going to be using at your end. But for jobs
where the style guide calls for one, it's easy
enough for me to type as I please and then do a
search-and-destroy on the second space at the end
of the project.

Gene Kim-Eng