RE: arrogance

Subject: RE: arrogance
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:58:01 -0700

Good points, Bruce.

Let me point out again (to the list in general) that I am mainly talking about wording suggestions from poor writers.

This by no means excludes the possibility that there's something unclear about what I wrote (as Bruce suggests) and it _is_ an indicator that the text in question needs to be revisited. Any time someone has a question or suggestion (engineers, marketing... anybody) that's an indicator that all _may_ not be right. I know that sometimes I'm going too fast (heck, I wrote 200 help topics in the last two weeks) to catch everything or be deliberate enough in my writing.

I'm always willing to listen to what anyone has to say. If the suggestion has merit, it doesn't matter where it comes from. However, I rarely find that the _exact_ wording suggested by the engineers makes things clearer - though that may be a function of the developers here being (mostly) ESL writers. As someone else wrote earlier, it's often significantly worse. ;-)

I also 100% agree that more reviews are better. I'm always looking for that extra pair of eyes to comb the docs for things that I'll have missed. Getting both the outside perspective and the chance to catch errata I've overlooked is very welcome. (And as Bruce says, focused reviews, where the reviewer has guidelines for what to look for are best.)

Dan