Re: Documentation included in software build

Subject: Re: Documentation included in software build
From: "Stitzel, Ken" <kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:55:58 -0600

C. asked a good question about the pros/cons of including documents in
software builds. I have some experience with source-controlled documents
under four different source control systems--usually this has included the
help only--but has not necessarily been limited to help.

In general, I think it's a good idea to keep documents under source control:

* It reduces issues when multiple people work on a document (although this
is often not a big problem for tech writers).

* It offers a good way to track revisions and create backups.

* Since documents aren't usually critical to the actual _functioning_ of the
product itself*, you can often sneak updates into a build even if the rest
of the code base is locked down for a release.

* It gives you a better idea of what the software developers are up
to--their deadlines, concerns, and difficulties. This can gain you critical
"street credibility" with the developers, which helps build the friendly
relationships that help you get the information you need.

* Source control can actually let you work ahead on issues. You can add
updates to a source-controlled document but it will not be included with a
given build/release until you give specific instructions for its inclusion.

Sure, it costs you some "overhead" effort, but I think it is well worth it.
If you're a tech writer these days, you have to be able to learn new
software products. A source control system is no different and usually isn't
that hard once you learn the basics. Plus it gives technical knowledge (AND
your resume) a boost.

* People may start a philosophical debate on this statement, but that goes
well beyond my intent here. May the philosophically inclined please bear
with me.

Ken Stitzel
Synergetics, Inc. for ITC-NRCS-USDA
Fort Collins, CO
970-295-5461
kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com