RE: Requirements documents for documentation

Subject: RE: Requirements documents for documentation
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:54:36 -0400

Well, I'll take a shot:

If you regard a manual or help system (no matter its eventual format) as a deliverable, with specific business, user, performance, testing, release, and maintenance requirements, that has a cycle in the development, testing and release of the associated product, you should be able to adapt your usual requirements template to a documentation requirements document.

Base your doc outline or proposed TOC on the functional and technical specs for the product itself, submit it to your usual review process, get it approved, and start writing.

The standard of behavior we exhibit during emergencies is not scary; on the contrary. It is a demonstration of how pleasant life can be when people treat one another courteously.
--Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

From: "stacy naus" <snaus2003 -at- msn -dot- com>
Has anyone out there written requirements documents for documentation
products? I have to write such a doc for our project's online help and all
hard-copy docs. Any ideas, templates, websites you can direct me to would
be greatly appreciated. I did a "google" on it, and of course there's lots
of stuff for systems requirements docs, but I couldn't find anything that is
a requirements doc specifically *for* documentation.

Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com